Saturday, June 17, 2006

Geno's: The Main Attraction

Apparently Geno's is quite the "in" place now, all the rage. Some friends of mine traveled up to Philly just to get one of theircheese steaks yesterday. They said that Pat's on the one side of the street is Democrat owned while Geno's on the other side is Republican owned. Normally, Pat's has quite a crowd, but Geno's has attracted strong support for its recent stand on English-only.

Crowds were lining up around the block to support Geno's which has Teddy Roosevelt quotes on immigration on its walls along with accolades for the police. A group of some of the best looking men to congregate in one restaurant were seated in Geno's, according to my friend whose daughter was also obviously impressed.

"Gay?" I asked.

"No. Navy Seals," she replied.

Adding to the festivities, Geno's played patriotic music of various styles including Kate Smith and Toby Keith. And just to stick it to the French, they sold Freedom Fries instead of French ones.

Some of the people in line claimed, jokingly, they were going to attempt to order in Spanish, but there were no reports of individuals following through with their brave talk.

Normally, I am not a fan of cheese steaks. I was meant to be rich and eat at only the finest restaurants but something went horribly, cosmically wrong, and I don't get to do that very often. Since Philly cheese steaks are more in my price range at this point and since it's the patriotic place to be, I'll probably trek up to Philly with my friend sometime soon before the furor dies down. Unfortunately, she was unable to promise me that the Navy Seals would be there again. Dang.

You know what, A.O., I don't recall ever having an authentic Philly cheese steak either. Hmmm.

7 Comments:

At 6/17/2006 4:31 AM, Blogger TexSport Publications said...

I will be going through Philadelphia early next week and am going to go to Geno’s. I just can’t past up a change to see it in person and post about it on my blog.

My opinion on the whole matter is that Joey Vento is the owner of Geno’s Steaks. That means it is HIS business and he can do wherever he likes. If some immigrant can't order his/her lunch in the way that is prescribed, I guess he/she doesn’t eat at Geno's. I know there are other places in Philadelphia to eat.

Some of the bleeding heart liberals just don't get it. Kudos to Joey. I understand no one is turned away. If they can’t order in English, then someone is there to TEACH them the proper way to order. Joey has a great deal of support out here. I have a post at my blog about this and other issues.

Enjoyed your blog. Keep it up. I will be back to read more.

Please feel free to stop by and read my perspective on this and other issues.

http://texastruth.blogspot.com

 
At 6/17/2006 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about elitism. "Patriotic music like Toby Keith?" Come on now...BS music like Toby Keith, maybe. That man is a one-trick pony. Freedom fries? I thought that childish BS ended with our Congress' cafeteria. Conservatives truly crack me up.

I do like the Teddy Roosevelt quotes, though. I wonder if Mr. Geno would put up some of Roosevelt's leftist environmental or anti-corporate monopoly quotes that he's so famous for.

I'll wait for our Thai dinner with Miss A.O., Anna...

 
At 6/17/2006 9:03 AM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Mike M,

Perhaps you are confused. I know that my general tone is quite serious and that I tend to remark on more weighty issues. This was merely a fun little piece to write. Lighten up, man.

Geno's is making a point about an issue that is very much on the minds of Americans. So I threw a little support his way. And elitist? A steak house? Bah.

 
At 6/17/2006 9:04 AM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Texas Truth,

Have a great trip to Philly. Liberty Bell and Constitution Hall, I presume?

 
At 6/17/2006 7:57 PM, Blogger Christopher R Taylor said...

You can't fool me, the main attraction is all them soldier guys ;)

 
At 6/18/2006 6:42 AM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Why, Mr. Taylor, are you insinuating that I that I would travel all the way to Philly on the off chance that some good looking men might be there? Goodness! How shallow do you think I am? I'm just a patriotic girl who wants to support American free enterprise and a fellow American exercising his First Amendment rights. Why this is an important Constitutional issue! See how noble I am? :)

 
At 6/19/2006 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Vento certainly knows what makes money. I can't recall when I've heard a marketing ploy that compares with this. My hat's off to him. To think that he actually has folks traveling from afar to partake in his cuisine! I'm not going to trek up there for a cheese steak. If he wants to open a store in the great state of Delaware, however, I'll beat a path to his door!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home