Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Carpool Fun

Transporting a carload of kids home today, I noticed that the busload of girls directly in front of us were looking and waving at us--or to be more exact, at my son, Venger Jr., seated beside me in the front of our vehicle. Once the girls had our attention they started holding up their fingers to communicate numbers---seven fingers, then three fingers, etc.

"Oh, look guys, those girls are giving Jr. their phone numbers!"

Laughter all around, and one rather embarassed boy...

On a hunch that one of the girls would know a little sign language since girls are always fascinated by it, I pointed to my son and signed "cute".

Ah, one of the little cherubs did indeed know a little sign. "Yes," she nodded.

Laughter on the bus and one girl pushed the head-nodder.

More teasing in our car.

But all good things must come to an end. We approached the on-ramp to the interstate, and I switched lanes. The mass movement on the bus to the starboard (right) side would surely have capsized a boat, but being in a bus they were safe. Sensing an additional opportunity to pester my son further, I put down my window, slowed down as we passed, and called out, "He's cute, huh?" and the girls all vociferously agreed while the carpool continued to laugh and to tease my poor boy who was actually a very good sport about the whole thing.

Was I ever that young?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 9/20/2007 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See thats why sign language can be useful, you never know if you are going to want to flirt with someone in the other lane. Girls are more forward than they were at my age, but then I'd have never called them anyway and didn't have text messaging either.

When girls seemed to flirt with me I always figured it was mockery.

 
At 9/20/2007 4:17 PM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

CT,

Girls are more forward
Where did you grow up???

When girls seemed to flirt with me I always figured it was mockery.


I've no doubt that that belief was a product of your own insecurity at that age and not actually based in reality.

 
At 9/20/2007 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Oregon. I don't recall a single girl lifting a finger to indicate her interest to any guy that wasn't a sure thing. Plausible deniability and all that. If you don't show definite interest, then you can always back away without being embarrassed when the guy is not interested in return.

And who knows what they were thinking? I surely didn't and still rarely can work it out. Probably something to do with chocolate.

 
At 9/20/2007 11:13 PM, Blogger mynym said...

Oh yes, that poor boy... ;-)

I've had girls honk at me and do the types of things that I need to file away because I'm generally a shy fellow. I'd hate to think how shy I would have wound up otherwise.

It's probably good for him.

 
At 9/20/2007 11:15 PM, Blogger mynym said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9/21/2007 11:55 AM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

CT,

Maybe girls were more forward on the East Coast...but there was certainly enough of the "touch and go" stuff to madden anyone, also.

The girls on the bus were probably gaining safety through numbers and anonymity also.

As far as knowing what women are thinking, maybe you should ask. As I recall from Sesame Street, "Asking questions is a great way to find out answers"! :)

(hint: we don't always think of chocolate.)

 
At 9/21/2007 11:56 AM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

mynym,

I don't know how good it was for him, but teasing my children is always good for me!

 
At 9/21/2007 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I had a better idea of what women were thinking before I started asking them and hearing what they had to say. Then it just made no sense at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home