Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Amish Paradise

My son's friend pulled this music video up for us, called Amish Paradise. It's a Weird Al parody, and it's very funny.

I actually really like the Amish. I first went on a tour of the Amish Farm and House when I was about ten or twelve. They fascinated me. I admired their tight-knit, large families, their simplicity, and their strong communal ties, all so different than my own upbringing and our modern world. Back then, they had up to twenty children per family which I did think was a little much and no modern conveniences.

Last summer, a friend, her kids, my kids and I revisited the Amish Farm and House. Funny how much smaller things appear as an adult. The Amish have changed. Their families are smaller now, around six or seven kids, and they've added a few more modern conveniences that don't involve electricity. Since I have an ex-Amish friend, I was even able to ask some intelligent questions. I still admire their culture, but my friend and I agreed that we would really miss our reading addictions since with all their hard work they don't have a lot of spare time for that sort of habit. The other reason I could never be Amish is because I am allergic to most forms of manual labor. I have no objection to other people doing it, mind you, but if I'm going to do something physical, I would prefer it involve some activity for my amusement and not actually involve, you know, work.

Anyway, if you get a chance, check out the video.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home