Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Scientists Study This?

From a study at an Australian university:
Scientists find that moms consistently rank the stink of their baby's "number two" as No. 1.

In a new study, 13 mothers were asked to sniff soiled diapers belonging to both their own child and others from an unrelated baby.

The women consistently ranked the smell of their own child's feces as less revolting than that of other babies.
Source: FoxNews Health

I kid you not. Someone actually studied this. At least I can't gripe about American tax dollars being spent on crappy research.

However, once again I could have saved them the trouble and told them that this was the case. I am, after all, a mom. Back home, my neighbor had a daycare in her house. We would visit sometimes. My kids would enjoy playing with hers and the daycare tots, and we adults would attempt to converse in between the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth and the refereeing of the little ones so they didn't injure themselves or others. She had told me the results of this study without even having to do any scientific research. Her own kids' diapers didn't bother her, but the daycare kids' did---especially this one little tike's.

I myself had the misfortune of discovering the truth of her words as I assisted her one day. Changing a couple diapers was more than enough to prove that my body's gag reflex was working quite well. My own little darlings rarely generated that sort of response in me.

While I can think of several rather pithy and relevant clinchers for this post, I'm just not going to do it. You'll have to use your own imaginations. Sorry.

**********
Addendum:

Whenever I hear of important research, I make a point of sharing with my kids. You know, things like the importance of fruits and vegetables in the diet, reduction of sugar intake, latest findings on STDs, safety tips, etc. So for fun I told my daughter that Australian scientists had been conducting some very important research and had come to some crucial conclusions, namely that moms, when comparing their own children's and other children's diapers, found their own children's less offensive.

She gave me the oddest look. "Well, obviously. They actually had to study that?"

(And there you have it. You don't even have to be a mother to know. Apparently any female could have told the researchers that.)

After laughing at the researchers and their research, she asked me in all seriousness, "Are they all like that?"

"Like what?" I responded.

"Weird," she replied.

"Who? Scientists?"

"No. Australians."

Ah. I thought it was a good question. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer.

3 Comments:

At 7/18/2006 7:37 AM, Blogger Paul Smith Jr. said...

Any idea if men experience the same thing?

I read once that men were better able than women to smell baby clothes and tell which one belonged to their child.

 
At 7/18/2006 4:15 PM, Blogger Christopher R Taylor said...

Aussies are pretty cool overall but they have their government goofballs too.

 
At 7/18/2006 4:19 PM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Oh, I have nothing against Aussies. I just thought my daughter's comment was a hoot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home