Sunday, August 06, 2006

Revenge: It's What I Love about Blogging


What I love about blogging...

I love being able to stretch myself intellectually and creatively, to learn to better express myself, to share my insights and ideas and read those of others in response. I love the developing friendships both with those whom I have met face to face already through blogging and with those whom I may never meet personally. I love being in contact with others smarter than myself.

But most of all I love blogging for the revenge.

When Mr. Venger and I were first married, he had a computer. This was back when computers weren't much use and were boring as all get-out as far as I could tell. We lived in a little one bedroom apartment, and the computer had her own space in our bedroom. Night after night, I would try to sleep. However, with lights glaring and the clack-clack-clacking of the keys filling my ears, sleep would never come.

I came to realize that the computer was the other woman. Worse, she was in my very bedroom. I had beauty and brains on her, sure. But a computer does exactly what it is told. A man's dream come true! How could I compete with that? I could never be a mindless machine.

Things became so tense with my rival that I finally became unhinged. After so many nights of begging him to shut her off, turn out the lights, and come to bed, all to no avail, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I'm deeply ashamed of my behavior, but I was pushed beyond limits. Surely, you can understand. I grasped a baseball bat and threatened her life!!

Fortunately, Mr. Venger began to see the error of his ways before I did the unthinkable and resorted to violence to solve the rivalry between us. The computer was removed from the bedroom. Nevertheless, his love for her has not abated over the years. I have merely learned to close my eyes to the programming that was going on around me and to shut my ears to any talk of computers. Please understand; I had small children to consider. Denial was my only means of self-defense, my only way to maintain my dignity and self-respect and a proper home for my little ones.

Then one day the cable guy arrived at our door and installed digital cable with high speed internet access. A whole new world opened up to me. Computers have infiltrated our home, and I too have my own little side action. Now I email. I surf the net. I blog. I listen to my husband ask if I'm ever going to get off that thing. I hear him ask if I'm coming to bed yet. And I smile. Because revenge is sweet. And blogging makes it all possible.



Be sure to check out the other Blogging Chicks' posts answering the question "What I Love about Blogging" here.

This post also linked to Cao's Blog

17 Comments:

At 8/06/2006 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget to make up things about people you don't like. That's why I created my family site, obviously.

 
At 8/06/2006 12:07 AM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Nah. If I don't like someone there's probably plenty enough to say honestly without making anything up.

 
At 8/06/2006 11:13 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

hee hee, guffaw, laugh ha ha ha ha ha, jiggle giggle... more belly rolls... run to the bathroom and barely make it cuz I'm rolling down the hall in giggles.

You just can't make this stuff up.

(We now have two computers at opposite ends of the house and we send each other messages on our windows messenger...)

 
At 8/06/2006 11:52 AM, Blogger T said...

Our good night kiss is a passionate "meet you at the pillows." He has to be in bed by 10 and I'm a night owl. So I blog and chat and then when I'm finally exhausted - get cuddled all night.

The revenge is knowing that there are those who are reading your words who know you're referring to them and their behaviour. Sweet. (wicked evil grin)

 
At 8/06/2006 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Anna, you are funny. I like how you have expressed this whole blogging thingi.
I have to computer experts in the home. I mean true experts. Both are in the field of computer technology. I was the one felt left a year ago. Than my babe build me own little computer. Sure I got the 'scraps' of their computers, but I was a start...Now I am more on the PC than my guys - lol; with blogging and with photo editing...Thank you for sharing your story.

 
At 8/06/2006 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anna, this is a delight and probably a global phenom. It can have a gender switch too.

My brother Tom's wife became a nightly internet cruiser and he became somewhat worried about where she was going with it (and when she was coming to bed I assume).

Tom is an executive for a huge global corp and is "married" to his job..the typical long commute from the beautiful suburb to inner city, onlg hours and bringing the work home and regular travel across the globe. His wife found a bit of revenge in the interent.

 
At 8/06/2006 12:22 PM, Blogger Mall Worker said...

This is a great post! My partner did the same thing. Computer in the bedroom and everything. Finally he drew me in with my own and Its been revenge like too!

 
At 8/06/2006 1:36 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Too true and very funny! :)

 
At 8/06/2006 3:17 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

LOL, that's awesome!!! Revenge can be so sweet . . .

 
At 8/06/2006 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this is soo funny! And so true!!! My husband and I are always battling for computer time. I'll be getting my own laptop next month, and then our children can raise themselves while I blog, and he games!!! totally Kidding!!!!

 
At 8/06/2006 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny. Sometimes computers take over our lives. It's hard to know where to draw the line sometimes. My sister and I live together and we each have a computer and we're on them constantly. There's usually one who will say, okay, that's enough. We need to go do something else today or tonight. There's no revenge because we're both working toward the same goal (I'm writing and she's marketing my book). That's why we loose track of the time spent tapping on the keyboard. At least we each take turns pulling the other one away.

 
At 8/06/2006 6:31 PM, Blogger CyberCelt said...

Revenge, now that is a new reason to blog. LOL

 
At 8/06/2006 6:43 PM, Blogger Gina Conroy said...

LOL! Great post. My husband's "other woman" is not the computer, it's the garage or yard where he seems to find stuff to do. But I'm sure he thinks my computer is the "other man" in my life!

 
At 8/06/2006 8:01 PM, Blogger Karmyn R said...

Revenge is sweet! I never thought about it that way before....when I first married my husband, he received the Lara Croft Tombraider computer game....she was the other woman. I was glad when he conquered that game. Now I really do have "other women" in my life - all you great blogging chicks!!!!

 
At 8/06/2006 10:35 PM, Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Oh great way to look at blogging!! I too get the whole, "When are you coming to bed" thing. LOL My DH likes to read my blog at work and then read the wonderful comments people leave for me. Sometimes I even share other blogs I find with him. I think he secretly likes me to blog. :)

 
At 8/07/2006 7:52 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Hey Anna...looks like I'm "late" coming to your story...AND IT'S ONLY MONDAY! See? I try to limit blogging on the weekends when my husband (and kids) are home...they are jealous of my time "here" and I think prefer my "front" instead of the back of my head (thankfully, lol).

Novel idea for your "love" post, I always enjoy reading you, and you're one of those I mentioned when I made a reference to "raising the bar" on my Parallel Universe post ;)

 
At 8/07/2006 8:16 AM, Blogger Robin said...

btw, do you IM?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home