Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Woman Walks Again

Fifty-seven year old Anne Bennett spent the last seventeen years in a wheelchair after a disc in her back collapsed and burst while she was carrying a load of books. Doctors said she would never walk again. She, however, never completely accepted their diagnosis and continued to exercise and keep her weight down. While utilizing a toning table a few weeks ago, Bennett felt an excruciating pain in her back. Fearing she had done even more damage to herself, she returned home to bed.
"I was scared and didn't tell my husband what I'd done. Later that night I realised that my legs were doing what I was telling them to. My legs were listening to my brain for the first time I could remember.

"I got out of bed and put some weight on my feet. I wouldn't say I was walking, but I was staggering and I could put one foot in front of the other. It was astounding.

"The movement loosened scar tissue and allowed my nerves to work again.

"Now I have so much to look forward to. I find the most simple things exciting, like getting on an escalator or visiting a restaurant for the food and not for the wheelchair access."
Source: Telegraph.co.uk

Hat tip: Right Wing News

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home