Thursday, August 17, 2006

I'm a Marsupial and I'm Marauding

Check it out (over in my sidebar). I'm a Marauding Marsupial in the TTLB ecosystem!

How did that happen? For weeks I was an Insignificant Microbe, but I noticed that they had none of the inbound or outbound links, nor were links to my posts registering. Then their site went down a week and a half ago for updates. When it came back up, all my links were updated, and I was an Adorable Little Rodent. I was thrilled to say the least. I decided that chipmunks are especially cute, so I would consider myself an honorary chipmunk.

Then this morning I clicked over there and was shocked to discover that I am now a Marauding Marsupial. I think I'll be a kangaroo. 'Roos are pretty cool. They carry their little ones in pouches much as I did for an inordinate length of time. And, baby, they've got a kick too! Alriiiight! But I don't know how it happened. I hope it's not a mistake. Even if it is, being a chipmunk was cool too.

By the way, since I'm a certifiable techno-dummie could anyone explain to me how I can get a space between my TTLB information and my Previous Posts section in my sidebar? It's a wee bit too visually crowded over there. I'm wondering if a html paragraph tag would do it. (See? I am learning, ever so slowly. I'm so excited just to be able to put links in my sidebar all by myself and italicize parts of my comments on blogs, but then I'm easily amused.) So if anyone can fill me in, I'd sure appreciate it. Remember, make the advise fool-proof. I am such a fool!

6 Comments:

At 8/17/2006 10:18 AM, Blogger Robin said...

try this tag in html-- < p >. Of course, without the spaces.

I can't believe I'm even suggesting something--I am techie impaired!

 
At 8/17/2006 12:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Or simple < br > tags should do the trick. They create a line break wherever you put the html tag.

 
At 8/17/2006 2:31 PM, Blogger Christopher R Taylor said...

Woo hoo! Cute pouch too. I think what happens is they update like... once a month, so you leap gigantic amounts in ranking out of nowhere, the same thing happened to me.

And yeah, use the < br > < /br > tag on either side of what you want to be separated, that should give a break without too much space.

 
At 8/17/2006 3:08 PM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Thank you all for the advice. I tried the paragraph tag earlier but it didn't do anything. The line break tag, however, worked nicely, as you can see. And thanks to CT who recognized the importance of making sure that I remembered to turn it off again! ;)

I also thought it might be nice to change the color of the text there so it doesn't blend in so, but the code I tried didn't do anything to the color and strangely moved some blogger stuff on top of my header (name). Can't have any of that. Why do such strange things happen?

If anyone else is interested in being tagged for the 10 questions in the post down from this, let me know and I will be happy to officially tag you.

 
At 8/17/2006 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, you have some issues going on here...

Firstly, be very careful how you use paragraph and line break tags. Rules (substituting the < character types with [ so it will print):

A [p] tag must always be closed with a corresponding [/p] tag.

Example:

[p]I watched The Incredibles the other night. It was great.[/p]

A [br] tag actually should look like this to be up to spec:

[br /]

Example:

I want the line to break at the end of this...[br /]
... so that I can achieve some interesting effect or minor formatting result.

Keep in mind that you'll need to replace the [ and ] with < and > to get any tag to work properly.

You also are having problems with the page viewing properly in the Firefox browser (which is very popular in blog circles, particularly among those who know a bit about the coding.) I did not realize you had a link section until you mentioned it in a post today, at which point I opened Internet Explorer and saw a whole slew of things over there.

My email is accessible at the bottom of every page on my website, which is linked in all of my comments here. Feel free to shoot me a message in the evening whenever and I'll try to help you out.

 
At 8/17/2006 3:50 PM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Yeah. I've heard complaints from others that my sidebar is messed up in Foxfire. I'm hoping some changes that should be happening soon will take care of these issues.

I am learning stuff ever so slowly. I unfortunately need a lot of hand-holding and for people to remember to talk to me as though I'm a small child when teaching me technical stuff, a hard thing for people to remember since I'm all grown-up otherwise.

I just might contact you, Andy, if I can't get stuff worked out. You may regret offering!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home