Friday, November 03, 2006

No Accent Here

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Philadelphia
The Inland North
The South
The Northeast
Boston
The West
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes


Now, how did that happen? I'm a Delawarean. Shouldn't I have some kind of accent?

I'll never forget going into a Burger King--a Burger King, mind you-- and having the girl taking my order say, "Wood-er? Wood-er? How do you spell that?"

I thought that was rather rude. She knew perfectly well I wanted water.

Where do people from the Eastern Sure of Maryland get off making fun of Delawareans?

At least Philly wasn't my biggest influence. Thank goodness.

Thanks to Hube and Jeff the Baptist for this fun little quiz.

4 Comments:

At 11/03/2006 9:20 AM, Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

Any time I travel, people tell me I have an accent. I think it's so funny because I didn't think people from Wisconsin have accents.

But we do. We totally do.

 
At 11/03/2006 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!! Mine came out as being:
Philadelphia. Can you believe it?

"Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard."

Me, the midwesterner now in Delaware gets pegged with a Philadelphia accent from this quiz. The folks setting up the quiz must have things off cause folks in Philadelphia have such an accent to my ears.

And yes, you do say wood--er.

 
At 11/04/2006 4:06 PM, Blogger Christopher R Taylor said...

I tested as ... from the West. Being from the West, I suppose that makes sense. We don't sound much like cowboys here (well, some of us do, in parts), in fact when people are learning to be newscasters there's an institute in Seattle that people go to to "erase" their accent. We just sound like folks, we sound like the people on TV here.

It's funny though, TV and national radio is erasing our regional accents slowly but surely. I don't particularly care, although I do like some accents, there's something about a southern girl ;)

The accents from the Minnesota etc area are fun, they were showcased pretty well in Fargo, ya?

 
At 11/04/2006 4:18 PM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Oh, ya, Fargo showcased a lot of things pretty well. That is a movie I could have done without. Too brutal for me, and with no point. Shudder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home