Friday, December 22, 2006

How NOT to Win Friends

So a woman is looking at pictures of my children and says:


"I've never seen pictures of your children before. Wow. They're very beautiful.
They must take after your husband. They look nothing like you."

Yep. Someone actually said that. And the funny part was that she had no clue what she had just done! None!

The advice from Witness that Whittaker Chamber's mother had given him to "never insult someone unless it is on purpose" came to mind. Clearly, she hasn't heard that principle before.

Anyway, it gave Mr. Venger and me something to laugh over, and life is too short not to laugh every chance we get.


Oh, and for the record, the usual comments to me flow more along the lines of "Wow, you're children are beautiful. They look just like you." The truth of the matter, however, is that they are, like most children, a real mixture of their father's features and mine so that whichever parent they are with they appear the spitting image of. And of course, their features change over time, favoring one and then the other.

Here's wishing you nothing but uplifting conversations throughout your day. :)

5 Comments:

At 12/22/2006 9:25 AM, Blogger Paul Smith Jr. said...

See, I tend to say things like "Oh, your kids look just like you. I feel sorry for them."

That way I am following Chambers' mother's advice.

 
At 12/22/2006 12:51 PM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Ahem. I do hope you're not directing that little comment at me or my kids!

 
At 12/22/2006 3:17 PM, Blogger Paul Smith Jr. said...

Of course not. I think your friend was right.




Why do you set me up that way and then blame me when I take advantage of it?

 
At 12/22/2006 6:03 PM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

My friend? What friend are we talking about? I have yet to mention a friend.

Why do I set you up and then blame you? Gee, because you leave me openings a mile wide and I graciously refrain from slamming you on a regular basis. One would hope that you would show similar restraint. Especially at this season of hope...

 
At 12/26/2006 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anna, your children are beautiful and do look like you, and a little like Mr. Venger. That 'someone' has no clue.

Glad you were able to laugh over it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home