Sunday, July 30, 2006

Favorite Things


Wow! My first weekend creating a Blogging Chicks Carnival Theme post. This weekend is "Favorite Things".

Some of my favorite things include:

Children's Laughter. One of my favorite things in all the world is the sound of children laughing. No sound is more beautiful than that of kids experiencing sheer innocent delight and laughing without self-consciousness. I imagine it to be more beautiful than a choir of angels singing.

Snuggling. Snuggling is definitely another favorite. I used to cuddle with my children when they were very small. We would snuggle when we read stories or watched television. Those were precious moments, indeed. Now they think they are too old for snuggling with Mom so on cold winter nights when I just can't get warm, I kick them off the couch and cuddle with the dog instead (who always smells clean, by the way). Hubby will sometimes cuddle too if he's not too busy. He's even better than the dog! (And, for the record, there is another couch.)

Nature. Nature is very soothing to my soul. The quiet and the green of the trees in the woods can set everything right again when things have gone awry. Silently observing animals playing and working can bring a soothing, joyous peace to my mind and body as well. A beaver swimming or scouting out new wood, a bird hopping along the ground or in flight, waterfowl gliding across a pond, a squirrel climbing a tree; all these bring joy to my spirit.

The First "Spring" Day. That first spring-like day that signals that winter really will be gone soon gives a better high than any drug I can imagine. The hint of warmth, the sunshine, and the smell of spring in the air always transform me into a saucy teenager again and anything is possible.

Visiting with family and friends. Few joys in life match time spent with loved ones. Whether the talk is serious or lighthearted, the people God's placed in our lives are worth more than all the achievements and awards we can conceive. No one on his death bed says, "If I had just spent more time slaving away for work, I could die in peace. I wish I'd put in fourteen hours a day at the office every day and not spent so much time with my kids." It's always about the relationships.

Reading. As much as I love spending time with family and friends, a day to myself with a book is a gift from heaven.

Blogging. 'Nuff said.

Check out the favorite things of other Blogging Chicks here.

4 Comments:

At 7/30/2006 2:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to the Carnival! Many of those things are favorites to me, too (including the books, as you know). My dog doesn't like to snuggle though, although she does smell clean.

 
At 7/30/2006 6:53 PM, Blogger CyberCelt said...

Great post. Here from BCs.

 
At 7/31/2006 9:54 AM, Blogger Robin said...

See? I said in my "Favorites" post that "I got nothing" and if I did it was unoriginal or written better elsewhere, and here ya go...I'm finding a lot of us Blogging Chicks aren't that original (and that isn't a dis!) simply because a lot of our favorites ARE similar :)...AND, you've written about it very well here. So, thanks, I concur, on doggone near everything.

btw, nice first carnival submission.

 
At 7/31/2006 10:48 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

I think we are twins. Except I'm the older one. HA HA.

Everything you said could have been out of my mouth and into your ear!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home