Friday, August 18, 2006

Book Meme

Book Meme from Anonymous Opinion

1. One book that changed your life: More Than a Carpenter (and of course the Bible...honestly.)

2. One book that you've read more than once: The Bible, but I'm sure everyone's interested in other answers than that so I'd have to say Jane Eyre. Oh, also The Hiding Place and Pilgrim's Progress.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: The Bible, most definitely. I'm sure that's a top answer. I'm not trying sound cliche. If I could grab a couple more and keep them safe while being shipwrecked, I'd love to have a Vine's Expository Dictionary too, and boy, a book on survival skills would be handy since I majorly flunked that survival test Jeff the Baptist had on his site a few months ago.

4. One book that made you laugh: The Phantom Tollbooth. I know it's a kid's book, but my son and I loved all the silly word play that went on.

5. One book that made you cry: That would be Jane Eyre again. I read a condensed version of it the first time as a book choice for school. I was in fifth or sixth grade and was ordinarily a very tough kid. That story, however, moved me to tears. My mother and her boyfriend walked in as I sat on the couch reading, tears streaming down my face. My mother asked me what was wrong three times, but all I could do was reply with little sobs, eyes still glued to the book. Finally, her boyfriend asked, "Is the book sad?" At that I completely broke down. "Yes!" I wailed and ran from the room. By seventh grade, I procured an unabridged version. I've read it a few times. It's probably about time to revisit that old friend once again.

6. One book that you wish had been written: I think every child should come with a manual specifically about him or her so parents would know how to raise each one. I suppose that would, in fact, result in billions of books, though. Still, how many times have you heard a mom say she wishes her child had come with a manual because each one is different, and we parents are flying blind so much of the time.

7. One book that you wish had never been written: Mein Kampf and possibly the Qur'an since it seems to motivate terrorists for some reason, although I hate to pick on an entire religion.

8. One book you’re currently reading: A book Anonymous Opinion lent me on HTML, The Case for Israel and The Middle East.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: There are three that I have started and left for other books that I really want to finish at some point. They are: For the Glory of God, The Party of Death, and The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order.

10. Tag five others. Gee, Anonymous Opinion went and tagged the whole DCBA. I guess I have to go outside my "immediate family" for this. I sure hope you guys are a good-natured sort. How about Christopher Taylor of Word around the Net, Greg of Rhymes with Right, George of More than Right, Duffy of Pencader Days, Mike of Mike's Musings, and (for an even half dozen), Andy. You wouldn't let a lady down, now, would you, guys?

5 Comments:

At 8/18/2006 8:05 AM, Blogger AnonymousOpinion said...

Actually, Paul tagged all of DCBA first...

 
At 8/18/2006 9:08 AM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

For Paul: Oops. I went through the archives trying to figure out how I could have missed that. I was on vacation, that's how. Sorry Paul. :( And I agree with him that Stossel's Give Me a Break was very good although there were a couple things I didn't agree with, but even Stossel can be wrong sometimes. ;) And John Adams by McCullough is wonderful.

 
At 8/18/2006 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tag, I may not get to post until Monday or Tuesday as I am preaching out of town this weekend.

 
At 8/18/2006 2:09 PM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Thanks to Christopher Taylor and Duffy for responding with their own lists already. George and Andy both say they need a little time, understandably. I haven't heard back from Greg or Mike yet. Hopefully, chivalry isn't dead and they'll respond as soon as they notice they've been tagged.

 
At 8/18/2006 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote my responses before I really looked at yours. Looks like we have a few similarities in there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home