Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Speeding=Child Abuse

A West Palm Beach, Florida man was charged with child abuse for speeding. Seriously.

When I first read the caption I thought, you've got to be kidding.

But go read the article.

The guy was clocked at 103 mph in a 55 mile zone while workers were working construction. The man and his thirteen year old son smelled of alcohol.

So what do you think? Does this qualify as an "intentional act that could reasonably be expected to result in physical or mental injury to a child"--the legal definition of child abuse?

I just can't justify 103. I've never gone that fast except in an airplane (which I was piloting at the time, by the way). I like speed, but not 103 mph on U.S. highways. No way. Even the Autobahn has an advisory speed of 81 mph. (Hmmm... that speed caution surprised me. And to think I've always longed to drive it. Doesn't sound like such a much with an advisory speed limit on it.)

Lock him up? Yeah, probably. Nevertheless, there's still this fear gnawing at me that next thing you know, they'll be taking people's kids away when they're driving 75 on the interstate.

1 Comments:

At 11/15/2006 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He doesn't exactly seem to be a candidate for "Father of the Year," you know. After all, most families are out cruising at over 100 mph on I-95 on school nights -- after they've had a few brews! His license was suspended and he had prior arrests within the past 5 years. A real upstanding citizen he. Oh, and yes, they smelled booze on the 13-year olds breath! I wonder did mommy, who wasn't feeling well, or did daddy give him the booze. It's no wonder the kid fell asleep! He was likely sloshed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home