Monday, November 20, 2006

That Was a Good Question


"'You clearly have no understanding of certain people's need for private transport.'
-Stan Rosenfield, publicist for actor George Clooney, after a reporter asked why Clooney drives a fuel-efficient electric car but burns 7,000 gallons of jet fuel by traveling to Tokyo on a private jet."

Source: "World" November 4, 2006

(Hmmm. Good question. I'm pretty sure that there are commercial flights to Tokyo from the U.S. I'm so sure, in fact, that I am not even going to waste my time to do a search and provide a link to prove it. I bet if Clooney were to travel with a few hundred other people on the same plane he could cut down significantly on fuel usage and pollution to the environment. Do you think someone should tell him since he is, after all, a staunch supporter of the environment?)

You know, even in a large, less-than-fuel-efficient vehicle, I don't think I and my family could use 7000 gallons in fewer than several years. Also, we carpool, regularly sharing driving with other families whenever possible to reduce time, cost, and yes, even pollution. Why, I'm positively green!

7 Comments:

At 11/20/2006 10:45 AM, Blogger The Last Ephor said...

The key word here is "need". Clooney doesn't "need" a private plane any more than I need a golden spoon for my soup. It's a want and that's very different.

 
At 11/20/2006 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's say I'm George Clooney and I want to go to Tokyo. It's an incredibly long flight (having taken it last year, I know). Let's say because I'm George Clooney, no one will leave me alone for the entire 12 hours it takes to fly that long distance. Autographs, chats, personal questions. Can't go to the bathroom without stares and more attention than anyone every wants when headed to the men's room. I imagine the man causes a stir everywhere he goes, and sometimes, he just isn't up for it. Public life has to be truly a drag, and I am glad I'll never have to worry over it.

And good for him to have an electric car. If I could afford one and still pay for my children's education, I'd drive one too.

Hope you don't mind me offering my not so humble opinion. Had to see your blog, and I like it.

 
At 11/20/2006 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's typical liberal, you know. They believe all of us should be tree-hugging, fuel efficient environmentally conscious people. So he drives an electric car, great! I walked to purchase my newpaper this morning. It was in the lower 40's but I couldn't justify driving a half mile to buy a newspaper. I needed the exercise, needed to save fuel and I'm not a hyprocrite about it like Mr. Clooney. I'm not environmentally conscious when it's convenient for me. That's the whole problem with these hollywood types.

 
At 11/20/2006 9:58 PM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Truevyne,

Of course you're welcome to express your opinion. Thanks for stopping by.

You bring up a good point. Of course, I had assumed that if he took a commercial flight he would be going first class all the way, which should cut down on some of the oggling since other people in first class would also be special. :)

 
At 11/20/2006 10:13 PM, Blogger Christopher R Taylor said...

Yeah, well he drives an electric car when he's on camera, but not otherwise.

 
At 11/20/2006 10:14 PM, Blogger CyberCelt said...

If he was reduced to riding public transport, he might lose his cool. And his coolness is imperative for the title sexiest man of the year. LOL

Happy C&C Monday.

 
At 11/27/2006 11:23 AM, Blogger Robin said...

I'll be happy to carpool with him to save on fuel costs...;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home