Sunday, December 24, 2006

Driving on Christmas Eve Morn

I was driving my family to church this Christmas eve morning on a divided highway. As we traveled the decline, I looked over at the other side and saw that traffic was all but stopped. Instinctively and out of curiosity, I slowed down on our side too. What was going on? Were police stopping people for speeding? Was there an accident?

Nothing of the sort. There was a ground hog in their fast lane trying to make his way across the divided road. People were stopped for him and reducing the traffic to one lane to let him cross. He was confused by all the cars around him and was progressing only slowly and cautiously.

My daughter, Vengerette: "What is it?"

me: "Aw! It's a ground hog. Oh, look! He's so cute!"

Vengerette: "What's he doing?"

me: "He's crossing the road."

Vengerette: "But why is he crossing the road?"

(And I couldn't resist. I just had to say it.)

me: "Why, to get to the other side, of course!"

Vengerette: (sighs, shakes head)

You'll be glad to hear that there were no ground hog remains on the road when we traveled home. He's alive and well to celebrate Christmas with his little family. The kids, bah-humbug beings that they are, told me that someone probably picked him up for Christmas dinner and then informed me that animals didn't celebrate Christmas. I reminded them of Narnia. The animals there did indeed celebrate Christmas. Besides, how did they know that nature didn't celebrate the birth of the Lord of creation in its own way? Even the hymn "Joy to the World" says, "Let heaven and nature sing!"

*******
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

The greatest gift of all has already been given.

Merry Christmas to all. Remember the One whose birth we celebrate on CHRISTmas Day. And may Christ live in your hearts everyday of the year.

Technorati tags: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12/26/2006 7:02 PM, Blogger owlhaven said...

Hi from a fellow blogging chick

Mary, mom to many

 
At 12/28/2006 9:24 AM, Blogger Robin said...

That little ground hog had no idea the conversations he initiated and the memories he helped make, lol.

I'm all for celebrating the miracle of Christmas 365 days a year!

Hope this special season has been full of all things beautiful for your family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home