Saturday, January 20, 2007

Too Quiet

Has your home ever been too quiet?

Mine was today.* I had come home early---just a quick stop to get changed on my way back out to an appointment.

Normally when I arrive home, my dog faithfully and enthusiastically greets me. My people are far more indifferent to my comings and goings. The dog, in contrast, genuinely enjoys seeing me.

Today, however, there was no dog. Just silence. At first I felt lucky that the fur ball was not barking and bouncing about. I quickly made my way to my room to don different apparel so I could depart again. Still the dog made no response to my clack clack clack across the floor.

As I entered my room, it dawned on me how unnaturally quiet it truly was. Was something wrong with my dog? Was the pooch ill? injured? Good heavens! Could someone have hurt my dog and be waiting for me? Surely not. Yet I turned the lock on my bedroom door just in case.

Hurriedly I changed. I grabbed my club. Obviously, I wasn't all that worried or I'd have called 911 immediately and possibly grabbed a firearm to brandish. Nevertheless, I carried my shoes rather than put them back on as both fight and flight are easier without heels.

After scanning each room and finding no dog, I approached the basement stairs. Was my canine buddy okay? I whispered my four legged friend's name, and up the steps the beast scampered.

Huh. So my dog was absolutely fine and just never bothered to say hello when I came home. I guess the fuzzy creature really is one of the family now.


*Actually written quite a while ago.

Read the rest of the Blogging Chicks Carnival entries. There are some great stories.

9 Comments:

At 1/21/2007 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol ! nice story ! Yes our animals they are terrible ! I looked for my cat who had disappeared and found him finally in my wardrobe sleeping, and I had looked for him the whole afternoon (and worried of course)

 
At 1/21/2007 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol ! nice story ! Yes our animals they are terrible ! I looked for my cat who had disappeared and found him finally in my wardrobe sleeping, and I had looked for him the whole afternoon (and worried of course)

 
At 1/21/2007 6:21 AM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Oh, we did the same thing with the cat! Everyone was worried because they hadn't seen her for a while and were looking outside for her. I had the bright idea to look in my daughter's room where, as far as I could recall, she was last seen. Sure enough, she was locked in the closet. Poor kitty!

 
At 1/21/2007 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Saw your post at the Carnival so I decided to stop by--funny story! Have a great week! :)

 
At 1/21/2007 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe he needed affirmation that you still needed him :)

 
At 1/21/2007 9:03 PM, Blogger CyberCelt said...

That is not good, girl. If that is changed behavior look for a physical cause on the dog.

If he is ignoring you for no reason, I would make him a yard dog. LOL

 
At 1/21/2007 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A quiet home? What's that? The only time it's quiet around here is when everyone is gone.....it's probably not quiet then either knowing our cat. I have older children and one or the other is up and down all night long.

Enough personal ranting. I enjoyed your post.

 
At 1/22/2007 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the dog has crossed over! LOL! My new kitten is now a meower, so I often forget that she is in the hall closet. I feel so bad, I open the door and she just sits there staring at me like I'm an idiot. She's just started catching on that its better to speak up though. Here from the Carnival of Blogging Chicks.

 
At 1/22/2007 11:38 PM, Blogger Robin said...

I was gearing up for a good cry...and I'm really pleased that it didn't go the way it could've.

Whew!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home