Sunday, December 31, 2006

Here We Go Again

Discussing Christmas preparations with a friend, I mentioned that I had made an afghan for my brother and his wife as a present this year.

She startled; she flinched; she was visibly taken aback. After she had recovered herself, she said, "I didn't know you could do things like that!"

Sigh.

What does that mean?

Hmmm, I guess maybe people don't see me as the Susie-Homemaker type? Or maybe it's broader than that and I appear deficient of all skills? What is up with the back-handed insults? (I'm liking the guy from the Renaissance Faire better all the time.)

At least I know I am SuperMom, and everyone else knows that too....Or at least I thought they did. Bad things happen in threes, they say. Stay tuned.


Links: The Afghan and How NOT to Win Friends

Technorati tags: , ,

6 Comments:

At 12/31/2006 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just means she was suitably impressed. As I am.

Happy New Year (and maybe she wants you to make her one, too??)

 
At 12/31/2006 5:53 PM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Maybe. She just seemed so shocked.

 
At 1/02/2007 9:05 AM, Blogger Robin said...

I'm afraid that kind of thing is a dying artform...I sooo wish my grandmother had lived longer so she could have taught me to knit! Or Tad's aunt taught me to crochet...etc., etc. I think it's the coolest that you did this, I'm sure it really was a compliment...surely, it was a compliment!

Happy New Year Anna V!

 
At 1/02/2007 4:08 PM, Blogger michele said...

Was it the same woman? Because it sounds like she might want to take a few lessons on social discourse.

Happy New Year, Anna!

 
At 1/02/2007 10:23 PM, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Definitely not the same woman. The other one does need a course, or ten, on social discourse, believe you me. The one in this story, however, is actually a friend who happens to be incredibly handy. I suspect that I seem rather helpless to her in comparison and she was surprised to hear that I actually possess some practical skill since she's seen little evidence of that, heretofore. :)

Happy New Year, all.

 
At 5/11/2023 5:14 PM, Anonymous Salad Recipes said...

This iss awesome

 

Post a Comment

<< Home